Friday 30 September 2011

Whitley - More Than Life

Every once in while I think it's important to post an old song that I never stop loving. This time I am showing Whitley's 'More Than Life'. This song is one of my favorite chillout songs and I would be surprised if it didn't become one of yours.

More Than Life

Take a read of the story below, it's an interesting story written by the band's founder.

"When I was five years old I watched two television documentaries that were instrumental in forming the way I think. One show was about Mammoths, and the other was about scientific experiments concerning the human mind. Both documentaries were interesting enough. In the Mammoth documentary there was a time lapse showing a dead Mammoth returning to dust. At the time it only bothered me slightly. Shortly after, the second documentary taught me how the human mind stores memory, language and personality.

A revelation occurred in my mind:
‘If the Mammoth’s brain became dust, and his life was stored in there…then what point is there to life? I won’t remember any of my friends or family when I die. I won’t remember anything that I have learned…I won’t remember anything at all. I may as well not have ever existed.’

I ran to my mother and cried uncontrollably, as if to mourn the death of myself. As a woman who cares for cancer patients and is surrounded by death for most of her life, I thought she could explain it to me. I was horrified to learn that she couldn’t explain what happened when you died. My opinion stayed much the same for 16 years or so, and for a kid, I suppose I devoted an unhealthy amount of time trying to figure out the purpose of my existence. All I could have been and all I would have been was lost in time…it’s not hard to read between the lines."


That's a lot of text, but what I found really interesting about that is, he watched a documentary on Mammoths. One of his albums was called, 'Go Forth, Find Mammoth'. He also mentions he was "lost in time" which is the name of one of his singles. It is a very interesting story that explores how the band met. To check out the rest go to Dew Process' Website (their record label). Some of their other songs are below.

Lost in Time
I Remember
Killer
Head, First, Down